Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Central heating

Had to call out the service team to look at the boiler, the hot water system started playing up, where when turning on the hot taps, the gas would not light for ages, and kept cutting out. Engineer arrived this morning, checked out the gas supply pressure etc and after a few minutes traced the fault to the air pressure switch neoprene tubing which had split, he cut off the offending bit and reconnected it, hey presto constant hot water as it should be. Funnily enough I did the same thing on the opposite end of the tubing a few months back to cure a similar problem. Bad news is that the company Homeserve have decided to discontinue servicing this type of boiler due to its age and will be notifying me by letter that they will cease to insure the boiler soon. Looks like I will be stumping up for a new boiler soon. This boiler has lasted a good 12 years so is probably due for a replacement modern one.

Friday, February 20, 2015

New bathroom

Our new bathroom is complete now and a lovely job too. Just a bit of tidying up to do with the doors requiring painting and new handles etc need replacing. Then it is on to the hall, my wife has got some laminate flooring to replace the old carpet, so a good bit of work to come. Not looking forward to fitting the planks round 5 door frames, and will be replacing the skirting as well. It never stops, always something to do.

Anti-Det runs

Tomorrow I am heading up to Bruntingthorpe with my mate Pete. XS904 is due an anti-det run and also to check out the No2 Start system. Hoping for a nice day, although light rain is forecast. hopefully not sufficient to stop the proceedings. After the engineers have sorted out the faulty starter components and a dry run a few weeks back, it all looks good to go, so fingers crossed. The day is set for a night shoot afterwards and the rain is due to go off at 5 ish, so everyone should have a good day.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015


Snow put in an appearance this week, just a few inches, but enough to cover the ground. The bathroom continues to improve, the roofing panels are on and electricians have fitted the extractor fan and lights now, it looks really good. The bath is being fitted this afternoon and all pipework is in place. The wash basin has been removed and ready for the new one to be fitted, all coming along nicely now. Will be glad when it is all finished mind you. Will have to mop out the kitchen floor when they have gone for the day, all the melting snow has made a mess. Note to self, jobs like this should be done in summer months.

Friday, January 30, 2015

New Bathroom

Yesterday the bathroom fitters turned up and made a start on removing all the tiles, looks pretty bare now with all the fittings shifted out. The old shower has been removed and electric cables pushed back in the roof space ready for connecting to the new shower unit. Battens have been fitted to the roof today, ready for fixing the new roof panels. The electricians have turned up this afternoon to fit the extractor fan and cabling for the lighting before the roof panels can be fitted.

The estimate is for two weeks to completion, so lots more disruption to come yet. The skip was delivered this morning, ready for all the bath and other toilet fittings. At least we have the weekend to recover from the mess, and hopefully the bath will still be in place for the weekend at least.

Monday, January 26, 2015

A grand Day out

Last Saturday I accompanied my pal up to Bruntingthorpe Airfield to give some TLC to the two Lightning jets XS904 in particular has had an ongoing No2 starter problem which over the years had finally given up the ghost and refused to start. The two main engineers had done some fault finding and diagnosed that the LP switch was the main culprit although the starter itself had some atomiser head and drain hole carbon problems. The IPN starter motor was given a decoke and the HFIU plugs a good clean.

The LP switch was removed and bench tested revealing switch contacts which needed badly cleaning, this was done and after testing the correct operating pressure, reassembled and fitted back on the aircraft. All the removed components were refitted and fail safe checks were carried out and proved to be working as they should, so now we have a jet which has both engines able to start properly. Anti-det runs will be carried out soon to prove all the hard work was a success and all being well the jet will be ready for the next open day to once again thrill the crowds.

I find it amazing that after all these years in RAF service, it is still possible to be able to fix things that would normally have been done as replacements rather than deep strips which are now the only method available to keep these grand old ladies in ground running condition, something that draws the crowds year after year, so well done to the guys who continue to give of their free time to make this happen.

For anyone who has never seen a HF ignitor plug, here are a couple of pics which Pete O’Callaghan took of the items before they were refitted to the IPN starter.

24-1-2015 102

24-1-2015 104

Monday, January 12, 2015


My brother and sister in law visiting for my birthday took me up to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight visitor centre, had a nice coffee and a tour of the hangar. Lots of servicing going on and very interesting information learned.
Cappuccino BBMF style and very nice too.